The Mariner’s Stormglass encompasses the inspiration of Victorian technology in a contemporary structure. Believed to have been invented by an alchemist, stormglass instruments have been in use since the 1750s. The famous sailor and meteorologist, Admiral Fitzroy, mounted a similar model on the mast of HMS Beagle during his historic voyage with Darwin in the 1830s.
The idea behind a stormglass is to create weather predictions based on changes in solubility of chemicals sealed within the glass tube. Some believe that changes in the crystal structures are related to electromagnetic changes caused by storms. A great gift and intriguing instrument for observing unique weather patterns.
- Contemporary look for Victorian technology
- Relied on by mariners since the 1830’s
- Mysteriously predicts the weather up to 48 hours in advance
- Crystals precipitate in unique formations based on impending weather
- Includes reference card of crystal formations
- Solid brass end caps forged with a brushed finish
- Place stormglass in a location that avoids extreme heat or direct sunlight
4.5″ (114mm) height
Top cap – 1.7″ (43mm) diameter
Bottom cap – 2″ (49mm) diameter
Ready to ship in 3-5 business days
from United States (US)
ACTUAL SHIPPING should be charged. For most orders, you will be charged actual Shipping/Handling (S/H) at the time your product ships. Read the text of the detailed description of the product for additional shipping details for that product. If the product says either "free shipping" or "free shipping and handling" in the description itself, you can expect it to be free S/H. Otherwise not. On special order or larger products, we will send you a shipping quote (if we expect actual shipping and handling to be greater than $20 we do this) and if you are not happy with the S/H quote, we will cancel your order.
* For Davey & Co Bronze products, there is a flat $10.00 S/H charge if order is under $100 -- but this is waived on brand orders over $100 so S/H on Davey & Co is free if over $100. For Weems & Plath, Fynspray, and Sunbrella products including special orders, shipping is free if brand order total is over $300. Some of these brand products will state "free shipping" or include a non-zero USA shipping cost in the product shipping tab, otherwise the actual shipping charges apply and you will receive a final shipping invoice to approve before your product ships to you. If you are not happy with the shipping quote that we provide you in these cases, you can cancel your order, no problems.
*** For ATN products, you will be contacted with an invoice for actual shipping and information about delivery timeframe. ATN uses UPS shipping for domestic USA and US Postal Airmail for International and products ship from Florida. If you are not happy with the shipping quote, you can cancel your order, no problems.
Unless otherwise stated on the product itself, all Best Seller items ship with the quoted shipping rates to locations inside the continental United States. We can ship internationally but we must charge actual shipping and handling rates. If your order is shipping to an international destination or states of AK, HI, after you place your order, we will contact you by e-mail with a quotation for any extra shipping and handling charges. If you wish to continue with the order, we will send you an electronic invoice by e-mail and once it is paid, we will ship your order. If you prefer not to proceed with the order, we will refund your order in full immediately.
If you are not happy, then neither are we. Best Seller will accept returns and give a refund on any stock items you are not happy with, within 1 week of a delivered item, but you will have to pay for the item to be shipped back to origin. If there is a quality/defect problem with a special order, we will work with the manufacturer to reach satisfaction.
If any items are damaged during delivery, please keep the packaging and take photographs and notify us via this site the SAME DAY you receive the item so we may immediately deal with the carrier.